Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bowling wth Multiple Sclerosis


I have enjoyed bowling since I was 14-years-old. I used to go bowling with my father and over the years have gotten pretty good. I bowl an average of 160. I used to bowl a 180 before my multiple sclerosis. I have lost some of my arm strength since getting multiple sclerosis, but I’m still pretty good with a 160 average.

The way that I have been able to stay at a 160 is that I use a lighter ball than I used to. Using a ball that weighs less I’m able to bowl more games to since my arm doesn’t tire out as fast too. This is one of the things I was concerned about when I started bowling again. I like to bowl about four games each time I go bowling.

I was not sure how I would be able to maintain that average with less arm strength than I had before. My husband who also loves to bowl was the one that recommended I use a lighter ball than I used to, because it would take less strength to throw the ball. This is why I went with a lighter ball.

Another tip I could give you is that when you go bowling with MS you should drink plenty of water and stay rested. It is important to be able to relax when you MS and are bowling. You should never rush yourself as over doing it can be harmful to your health.

This is the reason I do not rush the to jump up every time it is my turn to bowl. To be courteous to the other bowlers I do bowl my turn at a normal pace when I’m feeling good. I also let the other team members know when I do not feel very good. This lets them be more understanding to my situation. This is the reason I bowl with the same group, because they are more understanding to my situation.

I believe that anybody with a disability can do whatever they put their mind to. I have been bowling since I was 14-years-old, and continue to bowl to this day even with MS.

No comments:

Post a Comment